One of the things that I was most excited about regarding my move to the UK was how close I was going to be to Europe and I had visions of trips to all the glamorous cities I’d read about. Walking the wide boulevards of Paris and the narrow streets of the Alfama still makes my heart skip a beat. Road trips around France and seeing the sites in Madrid are all cherished memories.
One of the places I’ve always wanted to visit but still haven’t had a chance is Italy, dreams of drinking wine in Tuscany and going for a swim in the warm waters off the Amalfi coast is one I know will come true.
With thoughts of sunny Italy dancing around my head, I was excited by the challenge from Expedia to come up with a romantic recipe I knew exactly what would be served.
When Expedia asked me to come up with an Italian inspired Valentines day recipe as part of their #expediaworldonaplate challenge, my thoughts went straight to seafood. Italy is surrounded by the sea and this is reflected in it’s cuisine. I settled on linguine con le vongole as it’s the perfect romantic meal.
Don’t forget to share your Italian inspired meals with Expedia (and me!) using the hashtag #expediaworldonaplate
- 3 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves smashed and peeled
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp red-pepper flakes
- 500g white clams
- 1 tbl cornflour
- 1 package fresh linguine pasta
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, & red-pepper flakes in a large pasta serving bowl, set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the boiling water, add the linguine, and cook until tender but still firm. With fresh pasta this will take a couple of minutes.
- In a large pot, bring 1/4 cup of water to a boil. Add the clams, cover immediately, and steam until the clams are open- about 3 minutes. Discard any clams that do not open.
- Toss the cooked clams with the shells into the marinated olive oil, parsley and pasta. Pour the strained clam liquid onto the bowl of pasta and give it a final toss.