I’m an ex-pat living in England. I moved to Manchester in May 2005. Other than missing scorching hot summers I love it here. I love photography, anything to do with interiors, gadgets and pretty things. I lean to mid century but love anything that’s a little bit quirky. I am currently remodeling the 1930’s semi, we purchased in 2010, on a shoestring budget. Wallpapered ceilings are an abomination and must be eradicated. I love to cook, well really, I love eating and am just arrogant enough to think I can do it better than 90% of the restaurants out there! This blog is a mish mash of all my interests and you’ll find everything from recipes to DIY projects and pretty things I love. I’m a big fan of free stuff so you’ll find a fair number of upcycle projects here. I do on occasion posts about Squidge. Mainly I hope this is place where you’ll be inspired to pick up a paint brush or a quirky little tchotchke and make your world just a little bit prettier.
On occasion I might blog about my husband. We met way back in 1999 and married in 2013. Wal was born and raised in the Cheshire countryside. He moved to the US on a one year assignment, while there his company was sold leaving him stranded, in the bible belt, good times!! Six years later he finally found his way back to gods country England.
Wal and I met while we were both living in South Carolina. He moved back to England and I stayed in South Carolina. We realized it was more fun when we were together, I moved to England to be with him. Nine months after a night of mucho beer, a sofa and a little incontinence we were the proud owners of Squidgyboo. I’ve always wanted a Pod of my own and without actually trying very hard I’ve found myself a pretty good one.
Squidgyboo (this blogs namesake) was born in June 2006 in Manchester England. We, the keepers of Squidge think she’s great!! She’s an avid reader, loves to dance and sing. Squidge has a fantastic imagination, is a self proclaimed girly-girl tomboy and is a seeker of adventures! Her best cat-friend is CharlieCat and she loves to spend the weekends in her jim-jams. Her best trait is her kindness and my biggest wish for her is that she is always kind.
CharlieCat (AKA Charles Chucklesworth III, Chuckles, Chuck)
Charlie joined our family in December 2012 and has made himself right at home. He loves cuddles, scratches behind the ears and food. He’s a bit of a food thief and if you’re not careful you might lose your dinner. You’ll find him most nights cuddled up with Squidge snoozing.
Dobby the House Dog (AKA Dobbers)
Dobby joined us in December 2014 and quickly found his way into our hearts. He’s a dopey lovable silver/black labradoodle. He loves snuggles and chasing balls. He’s never met a body of water he didn’t love and has on occasion rolled around in mud puddles to his great delight and our dismay.
I also have a teensy tiny addiction to Instagram and I love to post about pretty things and my family but mainly I post pictures of things I’m eating or drinking- Hello! Insta-cliché!
I am keen to work with brands that fit my blog so please don’t hesitate to contact me if you think we’d be a good fit.
- One of my favorites things to do is organizing get togethers.
- Wal and I met when we both joined a social club in Greenwood, SC. If you’re thinking Buena Vista think again.
- When I was a little girl my mother would lose me on a regular basis. It wasn’t her, it was me. I would wonder off all.the.time.
- When I was 10 my best friend Paula and I stole some lip gloss. The manager saw us and chased us shouting that he knew where we lived. We were soo scared he would find us that we both cut our long (down to our butts) hair. The Monday after our ‘theft’ be both sported fab Dorothy Hamill hair cuts (and some bubblegum scented glossy lips).
- While living in Greenwood I lived in 7 house/apartments in 8 years.
- Since 1995 this is the longest I have lived in one place.
- I never attempted to buy alcohol until I was all legal. I ordered a scorpion bowl at a Chinese Rest. They didn’t check for ID. It was then that I realized I could have been drinking sooner.
- I did however take some birthday money and treat all the neighborhood kids to penny candy from the candy store. $40 goes a long way when you’re buying penny candy. I was nine. My mother was NOT amused.
- I am first generation Portuguese American. I hold dual US and Portuguese citizenship.
- My family is loud, loving, they bicker and tease and shout. I have spent so much time on my own that I now find it difficult to be surrounded by them for very long. The chaos gives me headaches. This makes me sad.
- I have a cookbook addiction.
- I also have a kitchen gadget addiction.
- I have a BSc in Psychology- what a waste of time it is. I should have gotten something a bit more practical. I wish someone had warned me.
- I sometimes find it incredible that I am a stay at home mom. I believe I am a good mom. My daughter is almost always smiling and loves to kiss and hug.
- The summer I was 12 my best friend and I ate pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- My favorite non-alcoholic drink is coffee milk. I love Autocrat Coffee syrup. If you know what that is you know where I’m from.
- I used to live in very high heels.
- I can’t play any instruments or carry a tune.
- I’m afraid of skiing and yet I’m going skiing in March ’08. In FRANCE where they have really HIGH mountains- EEEK!! I went skiing for the first time and loved it. There were many tears but the fun factor was greater than the fear factor.
- I have asthma and almost died 3 times before the age of 5.
- I’m very very short- 5?
- I’ve dyed my hair every color and loved it best when I was blond.
- I secretly want to sail around the world with Wal and Squidge.
- When I started school I didn’t speak English. Now I can barely have a conversation in Portuguese- this makes me very very sad.
- I would love to make a living as a photographer but decided that I just love photography for me and don’t want to photograph what others want me to.
- I’m thinking about writing a cookbook.
- I miss my best friend every single day.
I wish I was motivated to lose 20 lbs.I lost 40lbs and have managed to keep most of it off- booyah!
- I had a recurring dream that ended up being a memory I had forgotten.
- I thank my lucky stars every day that I met Wal and that he is my best friend (but not best friend from #27).
- I’m a liberal verging on socialist.
- Being a stay at home mom was not the career path I envisioned for myself.
I worry that no one will hire me when I go back to work-I have a kick ass job doing social media marketing.
34. I find it weird that I’m married to an only and have an only.
- I used to smoke and stopped when I got pregnant with Squidge.
- I once went to the ER with severe back pain- I couldn’t moved and had to be wheeled in. Turns out I just needed to take a MAJOR dump.
- I giggle whenever I think Squidge is going to have an English accent.
38. My hometown has a bad rap but it was a fabulous place to grow up.
- I love to be creative but hate the clutter it creates.
- 2007 I conquered my fear of baking.
- I’m a good cook.
- I love living in Manchester. I just wish the summers were sunnier.
- Driving on the left still freaks me out sometimes.
- My thumb is a nice shade of green but I really can’t be bothreed.
- I’m hoping I turn into an eccentric old lady.
- I’m looking forward to being old enough not to give a rats a$$.
- Sometimes I physically ache with love for Squidge.
- I secretly hate that Squidge is apparently the spitting image of her paternal grandmother.
- I once hit a kid with my car. In my defense he did dart from between some parked cars. He just rolled across my windshield and kept on running.
- I love to travel
- I’m a cat person
- I’m a dog person
- The older I get the more I realize I’m a snob. I’m ok with this.
- I’m a carb junkie
- I force myself to eat some fruits and veg because of Squidge. I don’t want to pass on any of my food hang-ups
- I try to never say would have, should have, could have about major things in my life. I try to not have any regrets and I stand by my decisions. I might not be happy with the outcome but the decision was made and hind site will kill you.
- Very often I would be completely and utterly in love with a boy only to introduce them to one of my friends and then have the boy tell me he thinks my friend is hot and could I fix them up.
- I want to be tall and leggy and flat chested. I’m the exact opposite.
- My daughter is named after a character in a JD Salinger short story. Any guesses?
- I always worry that I have offended my friends. Except Wendy because she knows me so well and just gives me sh!t if I say or do something stupid.
- My favorite movie of all time is To Sir, with love.
- I peed my pants on an amusement ride once. I haven’t been on one since for fear it will happen again.
- While living in SC I would get so bored that I would go to Wal Mart and fill my cart up with things I wanted then just abandon it. Woohoo fun times!
- I am the oldest of 3. I’m 6 years older than my sister and 10 years older than my brother.
- I always think that people dislike me.
- In elementary school I was bullied into being nasty/hurtful/horrid to a friend by a bully. The next day no one was talking to me because of what I had done. The freeze out was initiated by the same girl that had bullied me into saying those nasty things. It was the single.most.scaring episode of my school career. I still regret what I said to that girl and think of her whenever I visit my hometown.
- I can’t eat cold fruit. I think it’s unnatural all fruit should be room temperature.
- When I was 20/21 I stole my best friends boyfriend. I could not help myself. I have never or since felt an attraction to someone as great as I did for him. He turned out to be a bit crazy (mental!!) and stalked me when I broke up w/ him. I still regret it to this day. It was the first time I realized I had it in me to be a truly horrible person. My bf and I are no longer bf, not because of her but me. She forgave me but I have yet to forgive myself.
- I rode a bike for the first time since 1987. It felt amazing and I wondered why it took me so long to get on a bike!
- Working on self confidence. I had it once. Now, not so much.
- I’ve very partial to gin and tonics.
- I’ve also been know to drink some red.
- We bought a fixer-upper in 2010 and I am now obsessed with decorating and interiors.
- The older I get the more I realise you make your own destiny.
- Perky boobs are wasted on the young.
- I hate talking on the telephone.
- I love reading the newspaper and am a bit of a politics junkie.